Wednesday, January 31, 2007

...And a headlong rush it was. Thundering along the rutted, pot-hole riddled stretch of mud-saturated clear-cut that passes for a road in these parts, we watched with a strange sense of de-ja-vous the last remnants of Cambodia pass us by in a blur of thatched, stilted huts, padi-fields and threatening thunderheads as we retraced our steps to the Thai border. It didn't take long to reach the border but here our race for Bangkok came to a sudden and unyielding halt.

It was the coup; everyone knew it was the coup; even the pigeons (har har!). That was why we were standing here being mercilessly hammered by the torrential monsoon rain in a static queue that was apparently setting out to match the longevity of Angkor itself. And so we stood, helplessly watching the inexorable blinking of the seconds on our collective watches as they slowly counted away our chances of making it to Bangkok whilst at the same time, as if on some macabre seesaw, they raised the ugly possibility of yet another sweaty, wet night in a tent.

Administrators the world over are the same. They wield their small slice of power like a beacon of light in their small, dark, twisted personal universes and feed off the frustration and despair they create. As ever we stood at the mercy of the small-minded. There was nothing we could do except collectively will them to let us through. To process those passports just that little bit faster. 'I am not a revolutionary anarchist planning to overthrow your government and hell, even if I was, I just missed the party. I just want a comfortable night in a hotel. Honest. Let me in. Pleeeease.'

Eventually, after what seemed like half an eternity the queue started moving, accompanied by not inconsiderable relief from the denizens of the Exodus truck, and we began once again to inch slowly towards Thailand. I don't really remember the journey from the border. It passed in a mercifully uneventful blur of flat, blandish scenery, rain swept skies and terminated in the bright lights and traffic queues of Bangkok. I do remember the rush of excitement as we edged our way through the chaotic traffic and marvelled at the neon signs and brightly lit skyscrapers of what was probably the most modern and busy city we had seen since leaving Beijing weeks before. This was it; 28 weeks of truck-bound bone-crunching, bruised arses and wind-burned faces was over; we had reached our goal. We cruised slowly down Nana Plaza past the pubs, pool halls and go-go bars towards the Crown Hotel slap in the middle of Bangkok's renowned red light district listening to the cat-calls from the uniformly stunning Thai girls out to make a quick buck in time honoured fashion. The reality of climbing down the aluminium steps of the truck for the final time hit with a potent mix of melancholy and relief. I thought, as I sank into the comfortable bed in my shabby but adequate hotel room and glanced at my profile in the full-length bedside mirror that today served only to remind me how unerotically thin and dirty I had become. ‘No more camping for me for a while; YES!’

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh up Al, what happened to Feb then?

Ross

7:49 am  
Blogger Al said...

Hey Ross,

good to hear from you.

Well, Feb I returned to the UK, so the blog, I am afraid is at an end. I am currently busy turning it into a book that I am intending to publish through LuLu.com along with some of the better photos I took while I was away. So if you are interested to hear what happened from Bangkok onwards, then it will be available in that form. Hopefully in the not too distant future. :)

Thanks for reading, anyway. Hope all is well with you?

Al.

8:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent idea.

I'm fine thanks, I jumped ship just after you left on your jaunt, and just before TTPCom went t1ts up. I'm now at CSR, still working on 3G though. Baby #3 is due in about 10 weeks time.

Let me know when book comes out, you can contact me on rg06@csr.com

Cheers

Ross

6:46 am  
Blogger James Hammick said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:58 am  
Blogger James Hammick said...

A whole years blogging with few comments, then a rush once it has ended. I look forward to the book.

It been a great adventure to live vicariously - almost inspired me to get out of the rat race - or maybe use my 3 month sabbatical for 10 years in the race. If I don't choose to wait and spend three months volunteering at the 2012 Olympics

3:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home